Incoming calls in iOS 10

Discussion on iOS topics, like integration with iOS native Phone app and history using CallKit, Push Notifications for incoming calls, address book integration etc.
andrey

Incoming calls in iOS 10

Post by andrey » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi!

As I see in iOS 10 there're no more possibility to use backgrounding option for incoming call. I used to this option for receive call only when I was in wi-fi coverage and it allowed me to safe battery. As of now I have the only option -Keep device awake. How about the power consumption in this mode considering new CallKit?

Is there any other way in iOS 10 to keep using Groundwire only in wi-fi network and safe battery power taking into account that push is not an option?

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Incoming calls in iOS 10

Post by admin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am

Hello,

I'm sorry, outside of Push Notifications, there is no really battery efficient option. It seems Apple has made it clear that they think Push is the way to go and isn't really offering any other options. Maybe this will change somewhere down the line, but I don't think it will be the immediate future.

As far as battery life, it will vary a lot depending on your usage. Though they might call it backgrounding, many (if not most) VoIP applications have always been using what we refer to as Keep Device Awake.

But outside of heavy users, I think most users will still get a days usage out of the battery. It's definitely not great, but it might not be as bad as you think at first.

andrey

Post by andrey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:56 am

Hi!

So far everything is clear. Let's take a look at Push Notifications. In this case my PBX has a permanent link to your Push server and your Push server has no any ideas about Network status of my device that can be Wi-Fi, GSM or out of network coverage. Despite of that it try to deliver me Push Notification about incoming call and my PBX has no any feedback about an issue during call and it can't change the route of call to my cell number in case of issue of SIP.

What do you think, how to solve such cases using Push Notifications? How to organise FMC solution?

Is it clear that do mean or it needs some clarification?
Regards.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 am

Hello,

Right now, we will send the call regardless of network connection and leave it to you to decide whether to reject the call. I think we will be adding a solution soon where we will reject the call automatically based on the network selection you have set in the app. But I can't think of anything we could do on our side in case of the device not having any network connection at all. The only thing I can think of is to have the pbx send it to your cell number in case it is not answered in some period of time.

andrey

Post by andrey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:34 am

Great news! I'm waiting it badly!

In accordance to Backgrounding mode, when you have no network connection you have no SIP registration so PBX can route call to a cell number. My be your push server can check if the device is reachable?

By the way that kind of feedback will give your push server to a PBX in case of unreachable network status?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:14 pm

There's not really a way to do this. SIPIS (our server that handles push notifications) doesn't know the network status of the device.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:36 pm

By the way, I think the pushed call will start getting rejected accepted based on wifi settings in the next update. I just tested and though I think we can improve some things still, it's working.