Acrobits Softphone as a choice with clickable numbers

Discussion on Android specific topics - integration with Android OS, support of different versions of Android, device-specific issues, push notifications etc.
TeleJeff

Acrobits Softphone as a choice with clickable numbers

Post by TeleJeff » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Currently, when I click on a phone number in an email or in a browser, Android will present a dialog to select an app to handle the number. In my case, the two (2) options that are presented for which I have apps installed are Google Hangouts and Skype. Acrobits Softphone is not an option. Why?

I created a support ticket (DN4-7H9-UXPD) for this a long time ago, but it seemed to go nowhere.

I'm a paid user, and participate in the beta version.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Acrobits Softphone as a choice with clickable numbers

Post by admin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:48 pm

If you go to controls in the preferences, set handle outgoing native calls to ask. You may have to select the native phone first before you get the option to use Acrobits Softphone.

I think this will be improved in the new user interfaces we are working on.

TeleJeff

Post by TeleJeff » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks, it works now, partially.

It works from the contacts app (did not before in a previous version). Now when I tap a number in my contacts app, Android presents a dialog to choose an app, and Acrobits Softphone is a choice to pass the number to, and then just click the "Call" button in Acrobits Softphone.

BUT, there still is an issue with tapping phone numbers on a webpage from within a browser. Any Browser. When I tap a number on a webpage, it launches Google Hangouts.

If I long-press on a phone number, Android presents the following dialog:

|
| Always Just Once
|_______________________________

The sequence varies slightly depending on which browser I use, but always ends up with the above Android dialog for a long-press on a phone number on a web page.

It seems like Acrobits Softphone is not fully registering itself as a handler for a telephone number withing Android.

p.s. There needs to be a way to post images here in the forum.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:28 am

Hello,

Honestly, we are unlikely to change anything in the current version since we have the new user interface that will be out soon.

But I went ahead and tested this myself in our new user interface and it seems we are always able to hook the phone number, but often only after selecting the native phone.

e.g. you tap on the number, select the native phone, then after tapping on call there, you then get the option for the softphone.

But maybe we can still improve this some. I don't know if we can catch every number (I don't think we would be able to hook into a phone number in plain text for example). But I think we should be able to get it working for phone number uris at least. I can't promise anything at this point, but I will have our development team look into it.